Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ad encourages wasting gum (Bubble Gum Weekend)

I'm a man who cries when perfectly good gum gets wasted.

So when I found this ad on YouPube, I almost went through a whole box of Kleenex within minutes.

It's a recent ad for Stride gum. I don't think I've ever seen Stride being sold in stores, but there's a lot of things the rest of the world has that we don't.

The omniscient Wikipedia tells of rumors that Stride wrappers are edible. However, officials for Stride's manufacturer "strongly discourage the ingestion of Stride gum wrappers."

How does this commersh condone the wastage of gum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-S2PL9GdRQ

It tells folks to remove the piece they're chewing and replace it with a new piece.

Why not just add the new piece to the wad you already have? That's what everyone did back in my day.

Or are the dancers in this ad actually the manners police?

That would make about as much sense as a book I had as a youth that said it was good manners to press the CLEAR button on your calculator before turning it off.

But since this is a newer commersh, the comment section for it has been flooded with "lmao!" and "PWNED!!" instead of educational insight like the old Gum Fighter and Flavor Fiend ads always elicit. Who says the American school system hasn't declined since the '70s?

No comments:

Post a Comment