Monday, June 8, 2009

Eyewitness Cam fights Allowed Cloud

After I overcame the time guardians this morn, I went Roads Scholaring again in Cincinnati, and I violated one of the most notable Allowed Clouds in months.

As I got onto the Newport Southbank Bridge, I noticed a new sign:


(http://i39.tinypic.com/w000t3.jpg)

Don't get upset, Newt Gingrich. The reason the walkway on the bridge is named Pagans Path is a local man who happens to be named Wally Pagan (seriously). But Pagans Path isn't why I took this photo.

I took this photo because it's a spang-new Allowed Cloud - with additional rules!

For one thing, the bridge is not private. It's owned by a committee that includes representatives of the city of Newport, Kentucky. So it's public. Public as a bird!

Because the bridge is public, the prohibition against distributing literature violates the First Amendment. Period.

But the Allowed Cloud I violated is the one that has to do with commercial photography. I promptly took this photo on the bridge:


(http://i40.tinypic.com/f02qvk.jpg)

If I include that photo in any income-generating project, it violates the Allowed Cloud. So a black-and-white version of it is going in my next book.

What are they going to do? Ban my book?

State and local taxpayers spent gabillions maintaining this bridge and converting it into its current condition. And now they're told (wrongly) that it's private and can't be used while it's deeded out to private events?

Somebody has to stand up against the privatization of amenities the public has paid for. Might as well be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment