Thursday, June 4, 2009

Free speech is not available in our country

Yay! Government censorship! (That's sarcasm, people.)

The words "This video is not available in your country" are described by one website as "a message you will enjoy quite often if you browse Youtube and live in Romania."

And now the United States too.

Earlier, I tried viewing 2 apparently uncontroversial music videos on YouTube - which were posted by the band that made them. When I attempted this, YouTube scowled, "This video is not available in your country."

Goodbye, America. I never thought we'd see YouTube videos that were available almost everywhere in the world blocked in the United States, but here we are. I'd expect to see something like this in China, not America.

Anyone who still thinks government censorship has become less common in America since the '70s can sit down now.

6 comments:

  1. Tim, are you sure the government censored the videos? I doubt that, even in Obama America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If not the government, then who?

    I just found a video from a year ago of someone complaining about the same thing, so it's been going on since at least then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YouTube possibly. I don't know, but it could be that the band or its record label asked that the video only be available on YouTube in certain countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...which of course would be pointless.

    Besides, the complaint I saw from last year wasn't about a music video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have almost 100 videos on YouTube, and there is no setting that lets me block them in certain countries.

    I just checked this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Tim, Barack Obama only likes Beyonce and polka, so he had that band banned.

    ReplyDelete