Saturday, June 6, 2009

A poor lesson in honesty

Let me be clear: Cheating on tests at school is not what I call honesty.

But Centerburg High School in Ohio seems to have a knack for countering dishonesty with an equal amount of injustice.

After a cheating scandal in which approximately half of the senior class either cheated on a major test or knew about the cheating but failed to turn in the offenders, school officials have canceled graduation altogether.

What about the other half of the senior class - who, as far as anyone knows, are completely innocent? They're getting punished for classmates' misdeeds.

Gee, this'll teach them to keep being honest. (That's sarcasm!)

Now you know why I was so concerned about schools misusing honor codes. It can too easily be abused to impose collective punishment like this.

Frankly, I don't know if I would feel personally concerned if it was my graduation. I didn't even bother to go to mine. But it's the principle that matters. Innocent students have surely earned the right to attend their commencement.

This year's Centerburg seniors are having their diplomas unceremoniously mailed to them.

Certainly an evening to forget.

(Source: http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/06/05/centerburg.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment